BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ash Wednesday



Today is Ash Wednesday. A day that I really do take to heart. It means a lot to me. Growing up in a Catholic family, makes days like this, very important. If I were in my hometown, I'd be going to my parents' house for dinner tonight. My Mom would make a traditional Lenten meal. So yummy! And we'd start our own 40 Day Journey.

I was absolutely exhausted this morning. We worked, pretty much for, 24 hours straight. After all the work we did last week. But this is important to me. And we went to mass. A normally 45 minute, weekday mass, was well over 3 hours long. But completely worth every second! I didn't just leave church with ashes on my forehead, but with a renewed spirit.

For many years, I "gave up" most foods, for the entire Lenten Season. That's Ash Wednesday, until Easter Sunday. But due to illness, I can't do that anymore. And for the last few years, I've had a difficult time coming up with a "luxury" to sacrifice.

This year is going to be a little different. I've actually done a version of this, for a few years now. I'm going to serve others. Do good deeds. Surprise people. Share my God given gifts. And overall, try to make other people's lives better. I will pray every day. I will dedicate time to God. But I really want to "pay it forward."

Just a little different spin on things I guess. I'm hoping that by Easter Sunday, I'll feel better deep inside. More connected to God, my spirituality, and religion. Renewed. Refreshed. Energized. I feel like when you allow God inside, he makes everything 1000X more incredible. Sometimes we lose touch a bit. But that's the amazing thing about my religion, it allows, and welcomes you back. Open hearts. Open minds. Open arms. ♥

No comments: