BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Mom's Blackberry Jam

I have something to admit. I'm a HUGE fan of berries. All berries. And of homemade jams, jellies, and preserves. I've only made them a handful of times. With My Guy's grandma. She is so good at it! Never uses recipes. And ALWAYS comes up with wonderful treats for us!

For a while now, I've wanted to make my own. And just couldn't think, of what type I'd make. I bought some apricots last week. Then I ate them all! :) Then I tried raspberries. Oh, but those were delish too!

As you can tell, I've had this on my mind,m for a while now. My Mom and I, had also been talking about making some preserves. Maybe peach. Because one of their employees, brought them a few sacks of peaches. Yum!

Well, all of this made more sense, when I saw this week's Gooseberry Patch, Free Recipe of the Week. Blackberry Jam! I immediately knew, I had to make it. I ran to the store, bought all the blackberries I could find. And when this guy got home from work, we had jars and jars of Blackberry Jam!!!



Mom's Blackberry Jam

4 c. blackberries, washed and hulled
4 c. sugar
4 1/2-pint canning jars and lids, sterilized

Place blackberries in a large Dutch oven; just cover with water. Bring to a rolling boil; add sugar. Boil until mixture drips thickly from a wooden spoon, about 30 to 45 minutes. Spoon into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe rims; secure with lids and rings. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes; set jars on a towel to cool. Check for seals. Makes 4 jars.



So let me be honest with you, it was wonderful! Super easy to make. And if you've ever wanted to try your hand at canning, this would be the recipe to try. It's ridiculously easy! And delish!

Oh, and it doesn't hurt, that I have a GREAT history with blackberries. Growing up, our neighbors had a HUGE blackberry bush. For days and days, maybe even weeks, my friend and I would eat blackberries. Straight from the bush. We didn't bother washing them. They were that good, and sweet!

Now that I have this under my belt, I think I'm going to try some more. I'd LOVE to make some strawberry preserves. Or apple butter. And my Mom wants to try something with those yummy peaches. Oh Gooseberry Patch, I think you created a "Canning Monster!"

No comments: