BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Orgasm Cake

Do you really want to know the story behind this? It's actually very cute, and somewhat funny. Not sexual in anyway.

My Guy and I had been dating. Nearly 6 months. And I ask him what he wanted for his birthday. This man. The man that makes at least 9 figures a year. That has everything a man could want. I ask him. Hoping it's under $200. Because, I'm a college student, with limited funds. But I wanted to get him something special.



He thinks long and hard. For almost 2 weeks. What does he want? A cake. Yes, he told me that he wanted a "homemade cake." Like when he was little. His Mom would make him a butter cream cake, with chocolate frosting. And sprinkles. Lots of colorful sprinkles. He liked the way they'd crunch. :)

Sounded easy enough. I still managed to find him a birthday present or two. :) The perfect CD. And the 1970s sign, that he hung almost immediately. Oh, and there was that shirt. But the cake? I wanted him to have something special. Something that I had made him. That was a little bit different. Something orange flavored. He likes orange flavored things. So I looked up a ton of recipes.

That work week, it was insanity. I was working at the hospital, and performing. Oh, and My Guy was working too. We were lucky, to get 5 minutes to talk, before falling asleep at night. I never made it to the grocery store. I never bought a thing I needed.

I woke up early on his birthday. Maybe because mid-dream, I realized it was My Guy's birthday! How in the world had I forgotten to go to the store? It was just before 5AM. And I quietly made my way to the kitchen. I knew I had some miscellaneous baking supplies. But I had no clue what was in the pantry. I was praying for the butter cream cake mix and chocolate frosting. No luck...

Our dogs stared at me. While I was sitting on the floor. Staring at the 2 boxes in my hand. Chocolate cake, and strawberry cake. Chocolate sounded more manly. You know, I don't think a pink cake, would have gone over so well. In 10 minutes, it was in the oven. I was on a ladder. Looking for some frosting. Again, strawberry. Definitely not what I was looking for. I kept digging. And behind a case of Sun Drop, and an economy sized box of Cheerios, I found a container of vanilla frosting.

Well, I was 0 for 2. But I was going to make it work. I waited patiently for the cake to bake. I pulled out My Guy's presents. Which I had wrapped days before. And the card. The card that took 2 weeks to write. And I waited.

Eventually, the chocolate cake was frosted. With vanilla frosting. It looked yummy. Or maybe I was hungry. It was just after 6AM. I added some sprinkles. But it didn't seem special enough. You know, the frosting was starting to melt too. The cake was still warm. So I added some M&Ms. They were there. Staring me down on the kitchen counter. Yummy. That's what I thought.

It was not the most gorgeous cake I've ever made. I wasn't sure how it tasted. Not the way I had envisioned, celebrating My Guy's birthday. I had HUGE plans. That just didn't work out. But we had a cake. And it looked good. I've made other cakes. Beautiful ones. With elaborate designs. Beautiful frosting. And here, I was staring at this very "homemade cake." I was just hoping My Guy would like it.

In 3 trips, I made it upstairs. Presents, card, and cake. Candles included. My Guy still sound asleep. Yes, he slept through it all! He's a heavy sleeper. Doesn't like mornings. It wasn't a miracle that he was still asleep.

But when I woke him up and sang Happy Birthday, it was all worth it! That friends, was the beginning to our new "Birthday Tradition." That morning, we ate cake in bed. 2 spoons, no plates, and no napkins. The words out of My Guy's mouth, "It's like an Orgasm in my Mouth. In a good way. A totally good way." It just made me smile. :) To see him all smiles! Because I had planned something different. A fancy pants cake. With a fruit filling. And beautiful frosting work. Instead, we were digging into this cake. This cake that made him smile like that. Like a little boy, who had just had all his dreams granted.

So, yesterday I baked that same cake. And I brought it to bed. My Guy's very sleepy eyes, they lit up. And we enjoyed a little bit of sunshine. It was delicious. And I see myself making this cake, "The Orgasm Cake," for every birthday we celebrate together. You know, until the end of time!

No comments: