BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Money, My Guy, and Me



I get lots and lots of money questions. Everyone wants to know. Does My Guy pay for everything? Do I really work? What do I spend my money on? How does it all work?

Well, I work. All the performing that I do, it's to pay for things like my college tuition, books, internships fees, insurance for working at the hospital, my home, all the costs associated with my home, and anything personal like that. Why? It's my decision.

My Guy from the very beginning, wanted to be able to pay for it all. Honestly, he can afford it. But I wasn't having any of that. I've never been the type of woman, to just let someone be completely financially responsible for me. Call me crazy but that's how I feel.

When I was 18 years old, I moved out of my parents' house. I actually moved a few hundred miles away, to go to college. From the beginning, I was pretty lucky. My parents convinced me to buy a house. It would be an investment into my future. And I had a really good job in music at the time. So I bought a house.

It hasn't always been easy. But I've done it on my own. No matter if I was dating someone or not. In a serious relationship. Or just by myself. It didn't matter to me that I was only 18. Or single, in a family sized home. Seriously, my house is bigger than any other on my street. I didn't plan it that way. But I got a good deal on the house. So I bought it.

That's my way of having independence. I'm financially independent. I have always paid for my education. I have a few small scholarships. With the issues in the economy, you've definitely seen scholarships dry up. And I get help from the various doctors that I work with. But I pay for 99% of it. I've also paid off my home. I did that in just over 7 years. Yes, it's possible to pay a 40 year mortgage in 7 years. Is it easy? No way! But again, I was single at the time.

I didn't have kids to worry about. Or anything like that. I could just take an entire paycheck and send it to the mortgage company. Living like that is tough. Because you sacrifice other things to pay off your home. Like furniture, decor, and sometimes even the basics in life. I never had cable. I watched the thermostate like my life depended on it. And I lived in the desert with no AC. I didn't go out with friends. Shopping was almost nonexistent. I rarely if ever, had a decent meal. Times were lean. But if there is a will, there is a way.

I'm not saying that I do it all on my own now. Yes, My Guy does pay for a lot of things. Like travel. Because we travel mostly for his work. So that cost, is purely up to him. He also pays for me to be able to go home to visit my family and friends. Because he knows that I moved to be closer to him.

As far as our day to day costs, again My Guy pays for most of those things. Groceries, bills, utilities...those sorts of things, he pays for. He makes sure we have what we need. Or in his case, what he enjoys. So ya, he pays for movies, dates, anything like that. And for anything for his house. I know what he'd say there..."Our House."

Like now for Christmas, he pays for the decorations. He also pays for the cleaning lady. Although, we really don't need one. But he's had her working for him for over 10 years. And well, he never had a girlfriend who did housework and cooked before. So he kept our cleaning lady. And now, we just kind of hangout and talk when she comes over. :)

My Guy also owns a large lot of land where we live. Our friends say we live in the BFE. And with that much property, well you need people. People to help you keep up with it all. So My Guy obviously pays for that.

But I'm still pretty stubborn. I don't spend My Guy's money on myself. As an example, if I go shopping for me, I pay for it. Regardless if it's clothes, makeup, craft supplies, a movie, a haircut. Those things, I still pay for. And that is the point were we don't agree...

You see, My Guy has more than enough to take care of me. And a small country to be honest. But I still feel like I don't want to "burden" him with the responsibility. Or make him solely accountable for everything. I think it's because I was raised to be so independent. Now one day, you know when we are legally wed, I won't have a problem with that. But right now, I feel like I need to support myself.

So there you go. I still pay for most of the things in my life. My home, my car, my bills, my health care, my shopping. But My Guy provides us with all the other stuff. The stuff that I probably wouldn't have encountered otherwise. We fight about money. But not like most couples. More because I don't spend enough of My Guy's money. Isn't that hilarious? But we've finally agreed on a little set of rules. And it's made life a lot easier. Even for this insanely independent woman. ♥

No comments: