BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Happy 40th Anniversary!!!



So it is early! Really early for me. I'm getting ready to head to the airport. To head to my hometown, for a 2 day medical conference. It has been an amazing and very tiring 2 weeks. But my work in Sin City is over. For at least a few weeks. To be honest, I haven't slept. And I am trying to get some work done.


But when I turned my computer on and headed over to my favorite place ever, Google, I was reminded of Sesame Street! Today is the 40th Anniversary of Sesame Street. And doesn't Big Bird look good for his age? hehehe

As a kid, I LOVED Sesame Street. It was my show. I watched whenever I could. If you know me personally, you know that wasn't a lot. But it was my favorite show. I could read when I was 3 years old. I could count. I knew my colors and my shapes. And could even talk in spanish. That was me. I would sit and watch Oscar the Grouch like he was the coolest dude around town! :)

I was a PBS kid. Reading Rainbow, Mr. Rogers, and Sesame Street. When I got the chicken pox at age 4, I was devastated. I had to miss Valentine's Day at school. But I had Bert and Ernie. Actually, when I was young, I had stuffed animals of Bert and Ernie too. My big brother had given them to me. I also had this Big Bird that I could make talk. This for the kid, that was born in the early 80s. My favorites though, were my Sesame Street bedding and Christmas ornaments.

After all these years, I am sure that my parents have all these things put away somewhere in their home. Along with my Big Bird bookcase and Sesame Street books. In fact, not long ago, I saw my Sesame Street comforter in the linen closet, at my parents' house. But I have the ornaments. And every year, I put up my set of ornaments on the Christmas tree. It was probably the only thing that I remembered from my childhood when I moved out. It was years before Elmo. We bought them at the Price Club (now Costco.)

Now, I have to admit. It has been a while since I have last watched Sesame Street. But it still lives on. My niece Sandy had her 1st birthday in August. Her party theme was Sesame Street. She loves Elmo. As does my goddaughter, Anahi. Who had a Cookie Monster cake for her 2nd birthday. And all my friends' kids love to watch Sesame Street too!

The last time I saw an episode, Sarita (my goddaughter) and I watched it in spanish. She is 4 years old. But she just lit up. Singing all the songs and dancing away. It is amazing how many people have been positively touched by these characters. My sister who is now 38 years old, was a huge fan too! Sesame Street bridges generations, socioeconomic differences, and racial differences. It doesn't matter if you grew up in the projects or in middle class America, you were somehow touched by Sesame Street.

Here is to another 40 years! And millions and millions more children who are positively influenced by Big Bird and the gang! ♥

No comments: